Hello fellow scientist! In our most recent Super Science Lab we did Rockets and Explosions! We watched Mentos blow up soda and blew up our lunches! We also had a balloon race and made our own volcanoes.
In case you missed it, here is the recipe for volcanoes that you can try at home:
Experiment: Make a mini volcano.
1. Put the empty glass bottle in the middle of the pie pan.
2. Put the baking soda into the bottle until it covers the bottom.
3. In a cup, combine ¼ cup vinegar, 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, two big drops of liquid dishwashing soap, and a few drops of food coloring.
4. Using the funnel, pour the mixture into the glass.
5. Stand back and watch the volcano erupt!
By combining the baking soda and the vinegar, you are creating a chemical reaction. The vinegar and baking soda create carbon dioxide gas; the gas expands and escapes to the bottle opening, pushing the soap mixture with it.
I hope to see you later this month. We will be doing CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION on October 22th at 1:30 pm. Registration opens on October 8th at 9:00 am. Please have your library card ready.