Hello fellow scientist! This month in Super Science Lab we did Crime Scene Investigations! We learned how to analyze powder substances and fingerprints. We also learned about teeth imprints and how be observant in a crime scene.
In case you missed it, here is how you can analyze your fingerprints:
Experiment: What kind of fingerprint do you have?
- Take a pencil and color it all over a piece of scratch paper.
- Take the top of your finger and rub it all over the pencil markings until your finger is completely covered with pencil.
- Place a piece of clear tape on your colored finger.
- Carefully take the tape off your finger and place the tape in a notebook.
- You should be able to see the pencil residue of your fingerprint on the tape.
- Do this with all of your 10 fingers.
You can find an example of a fingerprint card used by people applying to be FBI agents and a guide to fingerprint types at the kids’ section of the FBI website. Compare all your fingerprints to the chart. Do they all look the same? Are your fingerprints similar to your friends’?
I hope to see you next month. We will be doing WEATHER EXPERIMENTS on November 19th at 1:30 pm. Registration opens on November 5th at 9:00 am. Please have your library card ready when you call or stop by the Children’s Services desk.